Once again, I apologize for how long it has been since I last sent a blog. We have had a ton going on. My wife’s grandfather died. One of my daughters was in the hospital for 6 days. My work schedule has been crazy, and on top of that, I am married with 7 children.
For a moment, let me tell you about my wife’s grandfather. I helped do the funeral. I absolutely loved that man! He will be deeply missed. Kelly’s grandpa loved her Granny, and he loved his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. He worked hard and was a man of integrity. It was very hard to say goodbye, but it was a privilege to get to help officiate his Memorial Service.
Let me divert one more time and tell you about my daughter’s trip to the hospital. It is a very long story, but the short version is her blood sugar dropped scary low. We rushed her to the ER. The ER got her blood sugar back up, but he had to spend the night in ICU so they could monitor her levels. We were at the hospital for several days as they tried to keep her blood sugar levels normal through IV, and they also had to run several tests. She was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia. The good news is this is manageable. It was crazy scary though. We were so thankful to the Lord as we experienced His presence in the craziness, and we were so thankful to God’s people for their prayers.
Now, let’s get back to the real reason I wanted to blog today. The Lord has been stirring something in my heart. I know much of the time I blog about pornography and sexual sin. I will continue to blog about this, but I feel like the Lord wants me to broaden my scope a little bit.
I think the Lord is calling me to just speak out against all idolatry! If I participate in idolatry, then I am worshiping a false god. I feel like this is killing our culture around the globe, but I really see it killing our American culture and more importantly, our American Christian culture. That is why I think God wants me to speak out against it. Pornography is just one of those false idols.
Colossians 1 tells us we were created to worship Jesus. Deuteronomy 6 teaches us that we are to worship God with our whole hearts all of the time. In essence, all of life is to be in worship of the Preeminent One, Jesus Christ!!!!
Is that where I am? Is that where you are? Ask yourself this, “What occupies your mind’s attention or heart’s affection?” If something occupies my mind’s attention or my heart’s affection more than Jesus, then it could be idolatry.
I have mentored many young men and students over the last few years, and I have taken inventory of idolatry in my own life. Let me tell you what I have found. We can make an idol out of just about anything. Here is a list, but it is not meant to be exhaustive. You literally could be writing on this forever, but here are a few:
- sports (playing or watching)
- social media
I think you get the idea. I am borrowing from one of the pages on my web site, but this is where I feel like God is leading today-
These are my desires for people in bondage of any kind:
- Seeing God for who He really is
- Understanding the purpose of life (worship)
- Seeing our desperate need for the cross
- Seeing ourselves as adopted by God the Father in Christ
- Learn how to worship God with every ounce of our being
- No matter the extent of bondage, learn how to pursue freedom
Free to Worship:
- We were created by God and for God (Col. 1:15-16)
- God is so big He is beyond our comprehension! (Isaiah 40:12-15)
- God is holy & glorious (Isaiah 6:1-5; Exodus 33:18-23)
- God is worthy of all our worship! (Deut. 6:4-9)
- This includes everything!!!
- Can’t worship, why? We fall short of His glory & holiness. (Romans 3:23)
- We are in desperate need of the cross (Romans 3)
- Jesus wants those who are in need. (Matt. 9:12)
- Believers are adopted by God according to His pleasure & will, to the praise of His glorious grace. (Ephesians 1:5-6)
- Christ’s love motivates & compels us to follow Him. (2 Corinthians 5:14-15)
Ask yourself this, “Am I free to worship Jesus and Jesus alone?” If yes, praise the Lord! If not, why not?
I promise I am asking myself the same questions.
I will continue to speak out against porn because it is killing us. However, I am going to hammer all idolatry! Why?
- God is calling me to do this.
- He is worthy of nothing less than our whole self worshiping Him!