It has been quite some time since I blogged. I want to be more consistent with that in the future.
Recently I have found myself discouraged with all that is going on in the world:
- Pervasiveness of Sexual Sin
- The American Church too often not reflecting the Holiness of God
- Poverty and Hunger of Children around the World
- Sex Slave Industry
- Etc, Etc!!!
I could go on, but you get the point. If I am not careful I try to fix all of this. I was reminded recently that it is not mine to fix. I coach basketball at a private school where I live. I sat down with my head coach and discussed all this with him, and I thought I would pass it onto you.
He told me what keeps him from being discouraged is two things:
- Answer this question – Did I fight the good fight today?
- Remember, we win!!!
This was great counsel and insight, and I thought I would break it down in more detail in this blog.
Instead of trying to fix all of this evil, I must ask myself, “What is my role?” Let me break it down:
- Pervasiveness of Sexual Sin – continue to proclaim the message God has given me to help set people free as they run to Jesus. Did I fight the good fight and do this today?
- The American Church too often not reflecting the Holiness of God – when given opportunities to teach on this issue within the church, do I boldly proclaim God’s truth? Did I fight the good fight by asking the Lord for these opportunities? Did I fight the good fight and boldly proclaim His Truth to His Church?
- ISIS – Am I faithful to pray for believers around the world who are battling this enemy? Did I fight the good fight and pray for them today?
- Poverty and Hunger of Children around the World – Am I faithful to give of my financial resources to combat this issue around the world? Did I fight the good fight and give sacrificially today?
- Sex Slave Industry – Am I faithful to pray for those trapped in this? Did I fight the good fight and pray for them today?
If I am willing to listen to the Lord on what His role for me in this world is, I might spend less time in worry and more time in obedience. The Lord convicted me that I am falling into worry and discouragement too often. I want to focus on, “Did I fight the good fight today?”
The other issue is to remember that we win!!! Let’s look at this for a minute. The Scripture describes God as Holy, Glorious, Majestic, All Knowing and All Powerful! How arrogant is it of me to think that God might not know what is going on in the world. Not only does He know, but everything in this world happens according to His Sovereign Plan. I must trust this, and I must remember that one day He will return and right every wrong and wipe away every tear! Come quickly Lord Jesus!